RVC Releases Campus Updates and Need for Help With Debris Cleanup
A new semester at Rock Valley College begins on Saturday, and the college is racing against the clock to clean up the massive amount of damage that Monday's tornado left behind.
If you haven't seen pictures of the storm destruction RVC is dealing with yet, this is just a small portion of it, and it's devastating...
Classes will begin on schedule tomorrow, but for the first week, (8/15-8/21), in-person classes have been moved online. RVC's Mulford Road campus is closed to visitors until August 21, and so is the campus' walking/bike path.
Now for the part where you and I come in. The pictures above do not show the massive amount of debris that is all over the campus. We may not have the skills to help repair the damaged buildings, but we can throw on some gloves and help haul some branches.
If you have some free time today, Friday, from Noon to 4 p.m. or tomorrow, Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., please consider helping Rock Valley College clean their campus. A box lunch, water and snacks will be provided for volunteers on Saturday, and all you need to do to help is show up and check in at the trailer they have set up. Since many parts of the campus are inaccessible, here are some volunteer instructions from RVC;
- Enter campus via the Mulford Road entrance (address is 3301 N Mulford Road, Rockford IL 61114).
- Pull into the first parking lot (Lot 1, first right when you enter off Mulford Road).
- Look for a white Rock Valley College Police Emergency Response trailer and check-in at the trailer.
- Sign waiver and receive safety training and be issued a vest to wear.
- Wear closed toe shoes or preferably boots.
- Bring heavy duty gloves (RVC will have gloves for those who do not have any).
- Bring eye protection (RVC will have eye protection for those who do not have any).
Catch Lil Zim on ‘Q98.5 Mornings with Lil Zim & JB’ on Q98.5 from 6:00 a.m. to 10 a.m. Follow her on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook