Chicago Reddit User’s Red Line Safety Tips Go Viral
Shootings and robberies are becoming a common story on Chicago's rail system. One man's tips to try and avoid becoming a victim are worth a read.
It's ALWAYS a good time to think about personal safety
As pandemic restriction are lifting around the city of Chicago, more and more people are back to using public transportation. The increased activity on the rail system can also present a greater chance for criminal activity.
Recently, a Reddit user in Chicago who rides around 100 miles a week offered some safety tips that have been getting a lot of attention.
According to CWBChicago.com, "GMOcorn" was offering his advice to another Reddit user who shared that they'd been assaulted by “two drunk guys” on the train line between Chicago Avenue and North-Clybourn.
I think it's important to look at some of this advice as helpful ANYWHERE, not just on Chicago's rail system.
Red Line advice from a 100-mile-a-week rider:
These tips aren't just to keep you from being robbed or injured, they might also KEEP YOU ALIVE!
- No eye contact, ever
- First car only. If I’m get in some shit, the operator’s getting in it with me
- If it looks sketchy, it’s sketchy
- If a physical confrontation is imminent, be first in the exchange
- If someone’s smoking or playing loud music, keep your mouth shut. You’re just trying to get home, this is not the place you go to chill so you do not deserve comfort, mind your own business. No one is coming to save you if you run your mouth.
- You would think it shouldn’t be this way, and it should not, but it is this way because of the way that it is. Travel safe and take care
GMOcorn is right, it shouldn't be this way, but it is.