Tips for Choosing and Preserving the Perfect Pumpkin
If you haven't got your pumpkins yet, you might want to do so ASAP in order to have a selection of great ones to choose from. Here's some tips to follow for choosing and maintaining your perfectly carved pumpkin masterpiece until Halloween.
Pumpkin carving is not my favorite thing to do, because the process of scooping out the insides totally grosses me out. Thank goodness I have a husband willing to conquer the nastiness so that I may enjoy this beloved Halloween tradition. To make sure your jack-o-lantern stays in pristine condition for trick-or-treaters here's some easy tips to try that I found on Pinterest:
- Choose a pumpkin with a thick, strong stem, and no punctures or soft spots.
- Clean the exterior and interior of the pumpkin thoroughly before carving.
- Clean carving tools with hot water and soap.
- For best results, carve your pumpkin 7-10 days before Halloween.
- Lightly spray your pumpkin daily with a bleach solution made of 1tbsp bleach to 1quart of water.
- Don't keep your pumpkin in the sun or rain, and do not freeze it.
- Preservation techniques to try: Submerge entire pumpkin in white vinegar; Spray it with WD-40 or a pumpkin preserver; apply petroleum jelly to it.