Quick Tips to Keep Food Fresh
After realizing last night that my fridge needs some organization.
I also, found some quick tips to keeping my food fresh.
I found these at TipHero.com
- Line the bottom of the crisper drawer in your refrigerator with paper towels. They can help to absorb moisture that would make vegetables rot.
- Put a bay leaf in containers of flour, pasta and/or rice to help repel bugs.
- Spread butter or margarine on the cut sides of cheese to seal in moisture and prevent it from drying out (works best with hard cheeses sealed in wax).
- To make sour cream and cottage cheese last longer, place containers upside down in the fridge. By doing this, you create a vacuum that inhibits the growth of bacteria that causes food to spoil.
- If you want to check the freshness of an egg, just place it into a cup of water. If it’s fresh it will sink. If it’s bad it will float.
I've done the upside down containers of cottage cheese and sour cream. My Grandma always did that, so did my Mom, so naturally I do too.
However, I never knew that about bay leaves in your flour container. I typically don't cook with bay leaves, because I don't like their flavor, but To keep my flour fresh I'll get some.
Click here for more helpful tips