[UPDATE] Illinois Man Helps Rescue Boy from 2nd Story Window During House Fire
As the fire was spreading across the 1st floor of this home, a passerby saw someone in the window trapped upstairs. His quick reactions saved a life.
This story was updated on 11/8/2021. The update is added to the bottom and contains information on how you can help the family who lost their home in this fire.
On Wednesday (11/3/21) morning around 11:00 a.m. a home in the 5200 block of Pepper Drive in Rockford caught fire with two teenagers inside.
The home sustained over $200,000 in damage, but a much worse tragedy was spared by a nearby neighbor who noticed the heavy smoke pouring out of the house and he and his wife drove by the home.
This couple just happening to be driving by this home, at exactly the right time, is another story you won't believe.
When Ray walked up to the house, he saw the brother of the boy who was trapped upstairs, as he was frantically trying to find the garden hose to see if it would help. He didn't realize his brother was upstairs.
The boy upstairs was standing at the window as Ray told him what his only option was going to be to get out of the burning house.
Remember, only Ray and the trapped boy's brother knew what was happening on the first floor. It seemed impossible that he could escape by coming downstairs and out the front door.
Listen to Ray tell the story of saving this boy's life, or as he put it, just being a good neighbor
Fire officials said one person was taken to the hospital as a precaution. The cause of the fire was ruled as accidental.
The book that I mentioned near the end of my conversation with Ray, When God Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life, really was an incredible read. I found it on Amazon for $13.
Neighbors who didn't meet until tragedy, now are forever bonded.
This is Moi, the elementary school boy that Ray convinced to jump from the widow into his arms.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the Ramirez family.