Want to be an Astronaut? NASA is Hiring, Application Deadline is Next Week
Who wants to be an astronaut? You do! NASA is hiring, but you have to get your application in by next week.
Wouldn't it be great to leave our planet go on a rocket ride, soar in the outer reaches of our atmosphere and visit the International Space Station for a few months? You bet it would.
Get your resume ready and apply. On average, astronauts earn between $66,026 and $144,566 a year. If you are a US citizen, you can apply.
Oh, did I mention that there are 'some' additional qualifications you need to apply. According to NASA, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements before submitting an application:
- Distant and near visual acuity must be correctable to 20/20, each eye. The use of glasses is acceptable.
- The refractive surgical procedures of the eye, PRK and LASIK, are allowed. Note that such surgeries are permitted, but not required for potential applicants.
- Since all crew members will be expected to fly aboard a specific spacecraft vehicle and perform Extravehicular Activities (space walks), applicants must meet the anthropometric requirements for both the specific vehicle and the extravehicular activity mobility unit (space suit). Applicants brought in for an interview will be evaluated to ensure they meet the anthropometric requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in engineering, biological science, physical science, or mathematics.
- Degree must be followed by at least 3 years of related, progressively responsible, professional experience or at least 1,000 pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft. An advanced degree is desirable and may be substituted for experience as follows: master’s degree = 1 year of experience, doctoral degree = 3 years of experience. Teaching experience, including experience at the K - 12 levels, is considered to be qualifying experience for the Astronaut Candidate position; provided degree is in a Science, Engineering, or Mathematics field.
Okay, so I don't qualify, perhaps you do. Reach for the stars and apply!
More information available HERE.