6 Of the Worst Things Illinois Drivers Do During an Ice Storm
Driving during an ice storm in Illinois is treacherous, especially when you have to deal with other drivers who seem to have left all their common sense at home.
I think we all know driving in hazardous winter weather requires extra caution, but more often than not you see other drivers zooming down the road with no regard for other people's safety. This selfish behavior often leads to accidents that could have been easily avoided, and it is infuriating to witness.
6 Things NOT to Do In An Illinois Ice Storm
For good drivers, the following list might seem like a no-brainer, but too many Illinoisans really need a reminder. Here are 6 things you should NEVER do while driving in an ice storm:
- Drive too fast: During an ice storm, going the speed limit is usually considered driving too fast. Ice-covered roads can be extremely slippery, and your vehicle can't stop as fast as it usually does. SLOW DOWN and take your time to avoid skidding or sliding off the road.
- Follow too closely: If the vehicle in front of you loses control, you may not have enough time to react and avoid a collision if you're riding their bumper. Slamming on your brakes will just make things worse.
- Not clearing your windshield: Sure scraping ice sucks, but failing to do so can reduce visibility and increase your chances of an accident.
- Overcorrecting: THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ONE! If your vehicle starts to slide or skid, do NOT overcorrect. Overcorrecting can cause your vehicle to spin out of control. Instead, stay calm and steer gently in the direction you want to go.
- Use cruise control: Cruise control can be convenient, but it's a terrible idea during an ice storm. Drivers must be able to easily control and correct their speed.
- Not being prepared: If you spin out of control and find yourself stranded on the road, it is essential that you have an emergency kit in your car that included a shovel, ice scraper, blankets, and snacks in case a takes a while for help to arrive.
If you know someone who refuses to stay home, even when the roads are terrible and treacherous, PLEASE remind them of these 6 winter driving tips so everyone stays safe and in one piece! For more winter driving tips, please visit idot.illinois.gov.
12 Things You SHOULD and SHOULDN'T Do When It's Below Zero in Illinois