11 Cool Illinois Drive-in Theaters That You Didn’t Know Existed
With the month of May here, that means many of you will be venturing outdoors a bit enjoying the natural scenery, but it also means some of you will be looking to combine your outdoor exploring with some modern entertainment. It's drive-in movie theater time!
Want to check out Guardians of The Galaxy II, with the real galaxy sparking right above the movie screen? This weekend is a big opening weekend for Drive-in theatres, and yes, many are showing G2. But where to find a drive-in?
Back in your parents day, you could pretty much dine a drive-in movie theater within a fifteen minute drive from home, but nowadays, the pickin's are a bit slimmer, but all hope is not lost. In Illinois, you can still find a drive in movie theater.
Did you know that there are still 338 drive-in movie theaters in the United States according to Nerve.com. Yes, there are 11 in Illinois. The bad news, there are none in the Rockford Area, but there are three within a hour drive of the forest city.
Below you will find a listing of Drive-in Movie theaters in Illinois. Most are open weekends only, but some are open weekdays after memorial Day weekend and throughout the summer.
- 34 Drive-In – Earlville, IL (now open for the season)
- McHenry Outdoor Theater – McHenry, IL (Opening weekend May 5 and 6th)
- Midway Drive-In – Dixon/ Sterling, IL (Now Open)
If you have extra money for gas and are willing to drive further here are other eight other Illinois locations.
- Cascade Outdoor Theatre – W. Chicago, IL (Now Open)
- Fairview Drive-In – Newton, IL (now open)
- Route 66 Drive-In – Springfield, IL (now open)
- Harvest Moon Twin Drive-In – Gibson City, IL (now open)
- Sky View Drive-In – Litchfield, IL (Now open, opened on March 31st, and will remain open through mid October)
- Sky View Drive-In – Belleville, IL (now open)
- Galva Autovue Theatre – Galva, IL (NOT OPEN Theater status unsure, May have closed)
- Blue Moonlight Drive-In – Galesburg, IL (Opening weekend May 19-20)
If you are willing to travel north, you can head to Sky Vu Drive-In – Monroe, WI opened up in April and now open for the season.
If you have never experienced a drive-in movie, make it a point to check out a few, as the weather warms up. it is truly a once in a lifetime piece of American nostalgia, you have to enjoy this summer.