Top 15 Places to Camp in Illinois
Summer fun is on the brain, and to many that means loading up the SUV with tents and marshmallows and hitting the road for a fun weekend of camping. Although I may be more of a "glamper" kinda girl, all of these 15 Illinois camping spots still look amazing to me. In fact, I was surprised that there are several on the list that I have already been to, and that they are just a short drive from Rockford!
Onlyinyourstate.com recently published a list of 15 amazing camping spots in Illinois that are an absolute must see. What's exciting to this self-admitted non-camper is that I've actually been to 4 of the places that made the list!
- Starved Rock State Park - Oglesby, IL - Features sites with electricity, showers and toilets. (yay!) There is even a store to pick up forgotten necessities!
- Kayak Morris - Morris, IL - Not only will they organize and camp with you at several different campsites across Illinois, but they also have their own land featuring wooded and beach front campsites.
- Camp McCormick - Stillman Valley, IL - Every girl in Northern Illinois has probably experienced a night of camping at Camp McCormick as a Girl Scout experience. This is the perfect camping spot for girls that just want to have fun, and for families that want to be a part of the fun too.
- Cave In Rock State Park - Hardin County, IL - Super scenic camping for those who like to rough-it, and a lodge option for those who do not.
- Illinois Beach State Park - Zion, IL - Explore the only remaining beach ridge shoreline left in Illinois offering several ways to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the great outdoors. Campsites with access to electricity and showers also available.
- Lake Shabbona State Park - Shabbona, IL - 150 campsites to choose from, playgrounds and even a camp store. Fishermen also delight in the fact that Shabbona Lake has been named the "Muskie Capital of Illinois" and Illinois' best fishing lake.
- Fish Lake Beach Camping Resort - Volo, IL - Many camping options available for less rustic camping. Resort features a beach, pool, playground, and several activities for families to enjoy.
- Giant City State Park - Carbondale, IL - Beautiful scenery and unlimited outdoor recreation opportunities. This park also features a separate horse-friendly campground.
- Rock Cut State Park - Loves Park, IL - One of our area's true natural treasures to take advantage of. Perhaps this summer you should rent their primitive cabin for an extra dose of fun.
- Pere Marquette State Park - Grafton, IL - The perfect site for the true rustic camper. Site also features a youth tent area and organized group camps.
- Moraine Hills State Park - McHenry, IL - Quiet, beautiful campground sites with a concession area available for hikers and campers.
- Pharaoh Campground - Herod, IL - Small, quiet retreat at the Garden of the Gods Recreation Area that features some of the most breathtaking scenery in Illinois.
- Castle Rock State Park - Oregon, IL - Features a primitive camping area that is only accessible by canoe or boat.
- Mississippi Palisades State Park - Savanna, IL - Take a hike through Native American history and enjoy campsites that feature electrical hookups, water and two dump stations. Youth camping areas are available also.
- Lake Shelbyville - Shelbyville, IL - There are 3 campgrounds to choose from, and one features a beach!
What's your favorite camping spot in Illinois? Did it make this list? Share it below so we can all plan a summer full of camping adventure!