The 15 Most Beautiful Places in Illinois You Need to Visit
How lucky are we that TWO out of the 15 places mentioned on this list are right here in Rockford!?!
The website Thrillist recently put together a list of The 15 Most Beautiful Places in Illinois You Never Knew Existed, and I totally started smiling when I saw it. Not only because Rockford made the list twice, but because both places are ones my family loves to frequent. In fact, we took my daughter to both of them on her first birthday last October...
Do you know what those two Rockford attractions are? I bet you do, and love them as much as we do!
Here are the 15 Most Beautiful Places in Illinois according to Thrillist (In no particular order):
- Anderson Japanese Gardens - Rockford
- The waterfalls at Starved Rock State Park - Oglesby
- Burden Falls - Shawnee National Forest
- Grosse Point Lighthouse - Evanston
- Great River Road - Western edge of the state, along the Mississippi River
- Fabyan Windmill at Fabyan Forest Preserve - Geneva
- Cahokia Mounds - Collinsville
- Garden of the Gods - Shawnee National Forest
- Nicholas Conservatory and Gardens - Rockford
- Buffalo Rock State Park - Ottawa
- Spoon River Valley Scenic Drive - Canton
- Grand View Drive - Peoria
- Mississippi Palisades State Park - Savanna
- Promontory Point - Chicago
- Lake Falls at Matthiessen State Park - Utica
I am ashamed to admit that I have not heard of several of the other places on this list, but I now know where to go when I'm in the mood for a road trip to look at all the beautiful colors this Fall. Hope you take some time to enjoy them too!