Sledding Hills In The Rockford Area
In the Rockford area, here are some places to go sledding.
I have to admit, I am starting to feel like that "guy." You know the "back in the day" and "when I was a kid" person. I think it is because things are so much different for the children today than when I was young.
Yes, my friends and I enjoyed being inside playing Atari, Legos, Star Wars, and more. We would sit in front of the television watching cartoons and movies. Our own version of what most of the youth does now. The big difference, if we had our choice. My group would have been outside all the time.
We didn't care about the weather. In the winter, we would throw on our snowsuits, moon boots, and the rest of the cold temperature gear. Then we were set for the day. Activities included building snow forts, snowball fights, and tackle football in the snow. It did not hurt as much falling down.
My favorite thing to do in the winter was sledding. There was a hill only a few blocks from my house. I had a special sled that my uncle got me for Christmas one year. I would take it up and down that spot for hours.
We have some great places to go sledding in and around Rockford. I know we do not have snow yet this year but do not worry because it will eventually happen. So, save this information for future use. Trust me, it will come in handy.
Here's a list of places to go sledding in the Rockford area.
According to statlinekids.com,
- Hospital Hill in Beloit
- Snow Park at Alpine Hills in Rockford
- Belvidere Park in Belvidere
- Baumann Park in Cherry Valley
- Twin Sisters Park in Rockford
I had to add this special bonus one.
- Soldier Field - " Located just to the north of Soldier Field's south parking lot, this 35-foot-tall, 220-foot-long hill was created during the stadium's landscaping redesign, giving local kids a bit of elevation for winter fun. Best of all, the Park District uses snow machines to keep it coated in powder as long as temps are low enough, even if there's no naturally-occurring snow on the ground."
I believe sledding would be a nice family bonding experience this winter.
Video: Rockford Discovery Center is fun for children of all ages, even adults
KEEP READING: See how sports around the world have been impacted by the coronavirus