Have You Heard The Eerie Story About This Haunted Restaurant in Illinois?
The story about a haunted restaurant in Oregon, Illinois has so many coincidences there could be a movie written about this joint. Actually, there almost was or at least the idea has been bounced around.
Oregon isn't a big city but story The Roadhouse may leave you with big chills.
The story behind this bar sucked me in from the get-go. It starts in the late 1940s.
THE STORY OF MARY JANE
In 1948 a young girl, Mary Jane Reed, was murdered in Oregon. According to a police report, she was last seen alive at this location named "The Stenhouse" back then. The car she was last seen in was found across the street from the building the following day.
A young woman was held against her will in the basement here. I can feel her shaking and crying in horrible fear.
Those of the words of a psychic, which you'll learn about further below.
Two months after M. Reed died the bar changed ownership.
In a bizarre twist, one of the original owners of the building became mayor for years after "The Stenhouse" opened but was too busy and knew too little about the case to care about who killed Mary Jane Reed.
The "timeline of creepiness", we'll call it, makes this the perfect storyline for a movie.
Now, obviously, Ms. Reed is dead. But what you're about to read is so far past coincidence it's almost uncomfortable.
- In 1999, the establishment's business name was changed to "M & J's Roadhouse." M.J.R.... Mary Jane Reed.
- On November 15, 1999 flowers for a were unsuccessfully delivered to The Roadhouse
- because they technically won't open for business. It was the same day as Ms. Reed's birthday and also the woman who was working at the time the flowers were delivered.
- On June 15, 2000, the owner of The Roadhouse received a mayoral piece of mail from the Illinois state capital signed by someone named Mary Reed.
- On November 27, 2000, the mayor received a fax confirming a supply order. The cover sheet of the fax read the person who sent the order was a "Mary Jane Reed." (Ms. Reed, who was murdered, was a phone operator at the time of her death.
- In July 2003, an employee found a birthday card and gave it to the owner, inside it read "Hope you had a good birthday, Love Mary Jane." Allegedly, they discovered the handwriting was almost exactly similar to Ms. Reed's.
IS MARY JANE REED STILL LINGER IN THE BUILDING?
Past employees have reportedly expressed concern about working late at night because of eerie noises. One of the building's previous owners claimed to hear noises but assumed it was just sounds of old building noises.
When the building was being renovated crew members said they saw a woman walk through, say "How nice it was going to be upon completion", walk outside, and seemingly disappear.
Employees claim they saw a woman gliding around the room, utensils have supposedly launched across the kitchen or randomly fallen to the ground, and the same song would continually play the same song over and over "to most opportune times" for Mary Jane.
Years ago, a Hollywood screenwriter (and also a psychic) toured the building. Based on the documented results, which you can read here, Ms. Reed has no plans to leave.