5 Hilariously Awkward Street Names We Can’t Believe Were Approved in Wisconsin
Every state has its own share of weird road and street names, but these 5 in Wisconsin might just top the list.
What's the Law for Naming Roads in Wisconsin?
This morning I got a good laugh when I came across this article about weird street and road names in Wisconsin, but it also left me wondering how some of them actually got approved. Do they not have rules or procedures for naming roads in Wisconsin?
While I couldn't find a direct answer for the official roadway naming process in Wisconsin, I did find this info when it comes to renaming streets from the League of Wisconsin Municipalities;
If the street to be renamed is within a recorded subdivision or certified survey map, then the renaming must be accomplished by the recording of an affidavit of correction under Wis. Stat. sec. 236.295.
I'm not going to pretend I understand what that all means, but I am assuming the wacky street and road names I am about to share with you were approved by some municipalities with a special sense of humor. LOL!
Weird Wisconsin Street Names
The State Trunk Tour's article highlighted 10 wacky street and road names throughout the state of Wisconsin, but these 5 are my favorites and really had me wondering what exactly inspired the weirdness.
1. Darn Republican Street in Chetek, Wisconsin - In the interest of fairness, I wonder if there is a Darn Democrat Street too?
2. Fur Food Road in Stratford, Wisconsin - This one is perplexing because the one thing that should never go with the food you are about to eat is fur. Or maybe that's just me?
3. Chicken In The Woods Road in Three Lakes, Wisconsin - With the price of eggs right now, maybe we should go here and go chicken hunting?
(It's time to get really weird now...)
4. Hooker Ave. and Pleasure Dr. in Madison, Wisconsin - Now, these names individually aren't that wacky, BUT some city planner failed big time running these two streets together. Yes, Hooker Ave. meets Pleasure Dr. in one Madison neighborhood. (I wonder if any Johns live on the corner too?)
5. Assman Road in Mishicot, Wisconsin - I wonder if this road was inspired by the unfortunate last name of the first family that lived on it?
Have you spotted more weird street/road names in Wisconsin? Please send us an app message so we can laugh and add them to the list!