Cool Off at One of These 16 Spray Pads in Northern Illinois This Summer
When the summer temperatures hit the extreme, there are many places to get a break from the heat for free. Did you know Rockford alone has 15 spray pads throughout the city? In fact, most of the spray pads can be easily activated with the push of a button.
Rockford Spray Pad Locations
- Beattie Playground, 1251 Rural Street
- Blackhawk Park, 101 15th Avenue
- Bloom School Playground, 2901 Pelham Road
- Brown Park, 2010 North Main Street
- Churchill Park, 2002 7th Avenue
- Ekberg Pine Manor, 3750 Balsam Lane
- Harmon Park, 1924 East Gate Parkway
- Highland Park, 3011 Rural Street
- Keye-Mallquist Park, 1702 11th Street
- Liberty Park, 1555 Morgan Street
- Mandeville Park, 650 Montague Road
- Sabrooke Playground, 2900 Kishwaukee Street
- S. Henrietta Park, 527 S. Henrietta Street
- Washington Park, 3617 Delaware Street
There's also a spray pad at Dahlquist Park at 3251 Oak Grove Avenue, near E. State Street, that is only activated during extreme heat. When the heat index reaches 85 this particular spray pad can be activated from 1-5 pm. When the heat index hits 95 it will automatically be turned on from 1-5 pm. If the heat index surpasses 100 Rockford Park District will activate the spray pad from 1-8 pm.
For questions or concerns regarding Rockford Park District's spray pads, you are advised to call (815) 987-8800.
For Rockford's neighboring communities, there are options for you too.
Belvidere has a free splash pad at Doty Park 365 W. Locust Street. Oregon's is at 20014th Street. Beloit has two options, one at Vernon Park (934 Vernon Avenue) and Summit Park (1218 Henry Ave.)
(Note: I was today-years-old when I learned the difference between a spray pad and a splash pad.)