World’s Favorite Museum is in Illinois.
Another win for all of us living in the Midwest. A Chicago museum has just been named the world’s favorite. Can you guess which one it is? Congratulations to The Art Institute of Chicago. Home to historic art staples like the “American Gothic” painting by Grant Wood, the museum topped competitors like the Louvre and the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art to be named the “Best Museum in the World” by TripAdvisor according to NBC Chicago.
I have been through the Museum and the art work is amazing. Especially the mini doll house art house work. The detail of the carvings and woodworking is amazing.
The list of top museums were ranked based on the quantity and quality of reviews for museums worldwide in the last year.
Founded in 1879, the Art Institute of Chicago is home to an array of impressionist and post-impressionist collections and has more than 300,000 artworks on display.
The iconic museum took the top spot on two lists including “Top Museums in the U.S.” and “Top Museums in the World.”
The best museums in the world were:
1. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL USA
2. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia), Mexico City, Mexico
3. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
4. The Getty Center, Los Angeles, CA USA
5. Galleria dell’Accademia/Statue of David, Florence, Italy
The top museums in the U.S. were:
1. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
2. The Getty Center, Los Angeles, CA
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, NY
4. The National WWII Museum, New Orleans, LA
5. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry landed at sixteenth on the top museums in the nation list. I can't remember the last time I toured the Science and Industry building. I must have been 6 years old.
Both named museums have just landed on my bucket list for this Winter.