The Rest of Illinois Rated Rockford and it Actually Wasn’t That Bad
I remember the first time I told someone that I got a job in Rockford like it was yesterday.
I had just been offered a part time position with 97ZOK and I couldn't wait to share the news with the world; I was elated. Unfortunately, my excitement wasn't felt by others and it quickly turned into uncertainty.
The first thing people said when I told them I got a job here was, "you aren't going to move there, are you" and "you might want to think about buying a gun." Say what? These were people who've never even lived here and maybe stopped at a Road Ranger to pee on the way to Chicago.
What was I missing? What did everyone else know or think of Rockford that I needed to know?
I'm not the only one who's had these questions about the Forest City. Numerous people have turned to Reddit to get honest opinions about Rockford and a recent post by Moufasa garnished some of the most candid responses.
The replies ran the gamut from praise to contempt; here are some of the best:
- How can you hate a place that makes Mrs. Fisher's chips?
- The best Mexican restaurant in Rockford is taco bell. That's a damn shame.
- It used to just be boring, now it's somewhat dangerous and boring.
- Trailer races!
- The best people I have ever met live in Rockford, or at least they did a few years ago when I was there. It's a shame it has so many issues.
- It's a bigger Decatur, but with awesome people and Beef-a-roo
- I won't filter - I think of it as being a high crime, rough town without a lot of economic opportunity and longstanding racial issues. That's how people talked about it when I was growing up. I know there's some good folks out there though - when I ran a painting company my best employees drove an hour from Rockford every day and were never late, never the first ones to leave at the end of the day - so they raise y'all a lot tougher than these suburban kids.Magic Waters is the t**s also.
See, Rockford isn't that bad and isn't hated as much as we think it is. I mean, we have Mrs. Fisher's Chips, Beef-a-Roo and Magic Waters...sorry for the language, it was a direct quote.