Speaking from complete ignorance on the subject, this looks like an awesome summer job.
Laura Gibbs-Green made her weekly visit to the show to give us an update on what's happening at the Park District.
Along with reminding us about the extensive summer programs that the park district offers, they will also soon be opening their pools and they need someone to guard them.
I never took up lifeguarding as a summer occupation. Instead, I took a job at the now-closed Interstate Pollution Control out by the Rockford Airport.
Side note: That was an awesome job for a kid right out of high school. We got to empty tanker trucks and paint 50,000-gallon storage tanks. It was fun but the highlight was learning so many new things from my new friends in the trucking industry.
You probably won't learn as many dirty jokes lifeguarding but you'll definitely get a better tan. And you'll also be making $15 an hour, which is roughly double what I made climbing tanker trucks. It's really not much of a contest which job is better.
The duties for the job include everything you'd expect from a lifeguarding position, you can read them all here. But here are the qualifications:
- Must be at leat 16 years of age
- Must be able to work a minimum of 32 hours per week
- Must be willing to work unusual hours, weeknights, weekends, and holidays
- Good oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other district employees
- Good interpersonal skills which include working effectively as a team player
- Ability to provide customers with expert care, sensitive consideration, and efficient service
- Ability to document information completely
- Strong work ethic required
- Certification in First Aid, Cpr, AED, $ Ellis and Associates Lifeguard (all certificates can be obtained through the park district and you will have 3-5 months to complete them.)
As Laura says in the interview above, lifeguarding isn't the only position they are hiring for at the park district. Head over to their website for complete job listings. A summer job like this could turn into a career, look into it today!
What Are They Now Former Rockford Music Venues