How To Stay Safe If Your Car Breaks Down In The Cold
The temperatures Illinois has been experiencing aren't just cold; they're downright life-threatening.
So what happens if you find yourself out in the cold and your car breaks down? The Illinois State Police in Moline shared some tips to stay safe and survive the cold if you somehow end up stranded:
- Obviously, try to be bundled up before even stepping foot inside your car. Keep extra clothing and blankets within reach as well.
- If you are able, call 911 as soon as possible and give them your location.
- Make sure your exhaust pipe is clear of snow to prevent carbon monoxide build up inside the vehicle.
- If you have an emergency/space blanket, lay it down flat on your seat, then wrap it around your body, including head.
- Whatever you do, do NOT leave your car. It's the easiest way for responders to find you.
- If you have a "send police" sign, place it in the window closest to traffic.