Wisconsin Man Almost Dies After Being Licked By His Dog
A Wisconsin man is fighting for his life after being licked, not bitten, by his dog.
Greg Manteufel of Wisconsin, had to be rushed to the hospital as a result of an infection caused by coming into physical contact with saliva from a dog. According to a report by NBC5, Manteufels limbs had to be amputated as result of bacteria linked to dog saliva.
A GoFundMe Account has been set up to help with Manteufel's medical bills. Here's what happened:
On June 27th 2018 the Manteufel family experienced a medical emergency when Greg started feeling ill, within hours of the onset of symptoms, Greg's body started to go into septic shock. Once Greg was admitted to the hospital, they were able to confirm the reason Greg was septic. He had somehow contracted the bacteria Capnocytophaga Canimorsus.
This bacteria caused the sepsis in Greg's body that has completely changed not only Greg's life but his entire family's as well. Within days of being admitted to the hospital while still fighting for his life, Greg first lost both feet, after a second surgery to remove more damage on legs, they amputated thru both Knee caps. Surgery is scheduled to remove a portion of both hands as the damage from the sepsis is to extensive.
Furthermore all areas of Greg's body and tissue was affected by the bacteria and the sepsis, the Drs say his nose will need extensive repairs, which means he will need plastic surgery to rebuild a new healthy nose. Greg is going to need several more surgeries, lots of healing time and his family by his side to get thru this life changing event.
Could this happen to you? Possibly. If you own a cat or dog be aware that Capnocytophaga Canimorsus is a normal bacteria that grows in the mouth of up to 60% of dogs and 17% of cats. Since 1976, there have been about 500 reported cases In the United States US and Canada when no signs of an actual cat or dog bite was found.
Read more HERE.