Sweet corn season is here and for me it is my favorite time of the year. Bring on the sweet corn! From now until the end of August you will find the absolute best tasting sweet corn in Northern Illinois. You are not gonna find this in your local super market, but you will find it area roadside corn stands and at local farms.
I will stop at roadside corn stands at least three times a week and pick-up some sweet corn, how' bout you?
I know this from personal experience. During these weeks, which I consider sacred, you can enjoy best tasting sweet corn. All sweet corn is not created the same.
Did you know there are over 200 varieties of sweet corn?
Once again, I pose the question. Who has the area's best tasting sweet corn? Here are some of the corn on the cob vendors you nominated in 2014.
Here are YOUR picks for BEST SWEET CORN in the Stateline (LIST UPDATED 8.5.15 )
- KINGS :Across from the church after you cross the railroad tracks straight through town
- KIRKLAND: Klocks, on 1st street just South of Rt. 72
- BELVIDERE : Mundy’s farm on Genoa Rd. and across from Dodge Lanes out of the back of a pick up truck
- ROCHELLE: Rainwater’s corn on Rt. 251 and Twombley Rd (north of Rochelle in Hillcrest)
- PECATONICA: at the corner of Ahrens and Telegraph
- GARDEN PRAIRIE:Susie’s Garden Patch
- ROSCOE: Skelly's Farm Stand
- DURAND: Dolan’s on Rt 75 east of Durand
- FREEPORT: Drake Farms south of Freeport on Rt 26 (Baileyville)
- BYRON: Stump’s Sweetcorn (a young man and his 4-H/FFA project)
- WINNEBAGO: Dorn’s stand
- NEW MILFORD: Evan’s
- ROCKFORD: Landscaping Connection, corner of Linden and Mulford
- MARENGO: Cody's Farm
- POPLAR GROVE/BELVIDERE: Uncle Carl's Rt 76 and Springcreek
- DURAND: Hunt's on Leech Road!
- MACHESNEY PARK: Katie’s Gourmet Sweet Corn on North Second and Forest Hills Intersection, 1 Mile North of Highway 173
- CHERRY VALLEY: Blackmer’s Fresh Picked Sweetcorn, downtown Cherry valley and on Cherry Valley Rd (Southeast of Town)
- HARVARD: Mirai sweet corn from Twin Garden Farms
- HUNTLEY: Tom’s farm
- ROSCOE: Main Street Meat Co. In Roscoe (Mirai sweet corn)
- ROCKFORD: Mulder’s farm on Montague Rd
- STILLMAN VALLEY: Behmer’s
- MARENGO: Cody’s
- MAPLE PARK: Wiltse’s in Maple Park Rt 38 (East of DeKalb)
- A stand on 251 and route 30
- MARENGO: Bartman's Family Farm
- KINGS: (exact location not specified)
- MAPLE PARK: Theis Farm on County Line Rd
- HEBRON: VonBergens
- DAVIS: Willing's Sweet Corn
- ROCK FALLS: Selmi’s Greenhouse, Farm and Pumpkin Patch. The also have a stand in Dixon and Sterling
If you don't see your favorite spot, comment below and I'll add it to the list. Check back often as I update the list.
Samples are always welcome...LOL! I always tell my friends that "I'm cornfed, and proud of it"!
Comment below and tell me who has the BEST sweet corn in the stateline?
I'll reveal your results, on Friday!