The Most Overrated Healthy Foods According to Nutritionists
We're over a week into the new year, and if your "get healthy" resolution is still on track, way to go! Now, if you really want to get the most bang for your buck (healthy food isn't cheap) here are some foods nutritionists say you may want to leave out of the shopping cart next time you're at the store.
According to this article I found on Thrillist, the following foods usually considered "healthy" are not exactly as awesome as you may think:
- Coconut Oil - This oil is marketed as a "healthy" oil, but is actually high in saturated fat. Yes, it does have many health benefits, but as far as the fat content, you might as well just stick with canola oil.
- Egg Whites - Do you consume less calories if you leave the yolks out of your morning omelet? Of course, but you also miss out on vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Granola - A go to for healthy diets, however there's a reason it tastes so good; it's filled with calories and fat.
- Veggie burgers - There's a lot of chemicals in these processed patties. The healthier option is usually fresh meat or a fish-based burger.
- Yogurt - Plain Greek yogurt is the only truly healthy yogurt available at the store. Others may claim to be healthy and great tasting, but they're really more of a healthier dessert than a healthy snack.
Obviously any of the above foods are hands down a better option than a greasy cheeseburger and fries, but if you're really trying to do the healthier lifestyle thing right, nutritionists think this is very important information you need to know.
Good luck, my friends. Personally, I'm still digging my granola and yogurt for breakfast.