Keeping Kids Entertained During Spring Break
A lot of local schools have their spring breaks this week, and thank goodness Mother Nature has decided to cooperate with some great weather! Even though we should see highs in the 60s for the majority of the week, allowing for plenty of outdoor fun, I'm sure each parent will still hear their kids utter those two dreaded words; "I'm bored."
My daughter may not be able to say those dreaded words to me yet, but the thought of her saying them is like nails on a chalk board to me already. Good activity preparation will do wonders to combat the craziness and boredom on spring break, so let's get started.
Make a quick trip to the craft store and stock up on some supplies so you are ready to create. Here's some cute Easter crafts ideas for the kids to try. Just think, crafting projects not only keep the kids entertained for a bit, but they also check another item off your to-do list. You now have the decorating done for your Easter celebration. Bonus!
I did a little research, and found that several local attractions have special hours and activities going on in honor of spring break. Here's some fun things to check out with your kids this week:
- Coco Key Water Resort - Open daily through April 12 for spring break - special spring break rates apply - Learn more cocokeyrockford.com
- Public skating at Carlson Ice Arena - Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. - Get admission prices and more info here; rockfordparkdistrict.org
- Sapora Playworld - Open weekdays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. - Admission is just $3 on Monday and Wednesday - More info at rockfordparkdistrict.org
- Discovery Center Musuem - Open weekdays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Kids can "Spring Into Science" with all kinds of fun activities and an outdoor science park (weather permitting) - More info at discoverycentermuseum.org
- Simply Spring: The Butterfly Exhibit at Nicholas Conservatory and Gardens - Open Tuesday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Be surrounded by live butterflies and witness their entire lifestyle - nicholasconservatory.com
- Burpee Museum of Natural History - Featuring the Animal Adventures and Savage Ancient Seas: Dinosaurs of the Deep exhibits - Open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. - burpee.org
- Skateland - Open for a "No School Skate" on Wednesday from 1 to 4 p.m. - skatelandrocks.com
- Monkey Joe's - Fun-filled inflatable play center - Open weekdays 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. - monkeyjoes.com/locations/rockford