Ice Cream Recalled due to 3 Deaths, Check Your Freezer
You might want to check your freezer and double check for this ice cream
The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning for anyone who has purchased Blue Bell ice cream. According to the CDC and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, five patients who were treated in a single hospital in Kansas were infected with one of four rare strains of Listeria monocytogenes. Three of these strains, which are highly similar, have also been found in products manufactured at the Blue Bell Creameries production facility in Brenham, Texas. Illness onset dates range from January 2014 to January 2015.
FDA was notified that these three strains and four other rare strains of Listeria monocytogenes were found in samples of Blue Bell Creameries single serving Chocolate Chip Country Cookie Sandwich and the Great Divide Bar ice cream products collected by the South Carolina Department of Health & Environmental Control during routine product sampling at a South Carolina distribution center, on February 12, 2015. These products are manufactured at Blue Bell Creameries’ Brenham facility.
The FDA says listeria bacteria were found in:
- Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Country Cookies
- Great Divide Bars
- Sour Pop Green Apple Bars
- Cotton Candy Bars
- Vanilla Stick Slices
- Almond Bars
- No Sugar Added Moo Bars
|Product Name||Product Code|
|Chocolate Chip Country Cookie||SKU # 196|
|Great Divide Bar||SKU #108|
|Sour Pop Green Apple Bar||SKU #221|
|Cotton Candy Bar||SKU #216|
|Vanilla Stick Slices||SKU #964|
|Almond Bars||SKU #156|
|6 pack Cotton Candy Bars||SKU #245|
|6 pack Sour Pop Green Apple Bars||SKU #249|
|12 pack No Sugar Added Mooo Bars||SKU #343|
WGN-TV reports that Blue Bell says its regular Moo Bars were untainted, as were its half gallons, quarts, pints, cups, three-gallon ice cream and take-home frozen snack novelties.
The FDA warns consumers to not eat any of the products listed above. If these ice cream products are in your freezer, they should be thrown away, even if some of them have been eaten without anyone becoming ill.
Officials say three people have died after developing an illness linked to Blue Bell ice cream products. That prompted the first product recall in the Texas creamery’s 108-year history.
You can get more information on the ice cream recall on the FDA Website