An adult and two children were unable to return to their apartment after a fire Sept. 2 in the 1000 block of School Street.

According to the Rockford Fire Department, units responded to the apartment fire just after 6 p.m. Smoke could be seen coming from the building.

It was later determined the fire had started in the kitchen. According to a press release from the department, the adult had left with her two children about two hours before the fire call.

No injuries were reported. All three residents were relocated with the assistance of the Red Cross.

The estimated damage from the fire is $10,000. The fire is still under investigation.