Farmer Boy Sign Standing Tall in Rockford for Over 50 years
Do you know where you can find Rockford's tallest farmer?
Did you know this hard working farmer has towered above Rockford for quite a while? Now, while we don't know how long this young farmer has stood there, we do know he has not aged much, but has faded from time to time.
If you look closely at the sign, you can faintly see the words 'Wayne's Feed Store". This business has served Rockford at 3435 Auburn Street, since 1964. (Scroll down to see a larger picture)
Here's what I found out about the the famous Wayne's Feed Store and the iconic sign in front of the business.
- Bill Hoople is the owner of Wayne's Feed Store. The store is an independently family owned business, and been so for many years. In fact, Bill's son, Fred, still works there.
- Who built the sign? Bill's brother-in-law built the sign for him many years ago.
- Wayne's Feed store carries garden and yard fertilizers and farmer's feed. The store also sells crickets for snake owners.
- They sell fresh and saltwater fish and aquariums. Many fish varieties you won't find in a chain store.
- You'll also find dog food, dog treats, cat food, rabbit food, and gerbil & hamster food
- The store even has pet bunny inside
It's so cool to find a family owned and operated business that has managed to survive all these years and maintain it's heritage. You can check out Wayne's Feed Store on the web, by clicking here
The only other question I have is who is responsible for maintaining the sign out front?
Here's a look at the sign from top to bottom as it stands on Auburn Street.