A Look At 25 Years of Supporting St. Jude with Q98.5
Today we celebrate day one of our 25th Q98.5 Country Cares for St. Jude Kids Radiothon, so I took a few moments to think about all the amazing things this community has done for St. Jude kids over 25 years. Let me just say, these memories and numbers have brought me to tears, and have left me feeling so very proud.
I started working at Q98.5 as an intern fresh out of college in 2001, so this is my 16th St. Jude Kids Radiothon. From the very first year, I’ve been hooked on St. Jude’s incredibly powerful message of Hope, and the amazing work this hospital does on a daily basis is always on my mind. Beloved faces have come and gone, but the love for St. Jude always remains.
The Stateline community is also very passionate about St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and together we have been able to do some incredible things.
Here’s just a few of my favorite stats from the last 25 years…
- In 1992 when we started, it cost $500,000 a day to operate St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, now it costs 2.2 million dollars a day.
- In 1992 there was was only one patient family housing facility, the Ronald McDonald House. Most patient families were forced to stay in hotels away from the hospital. Now there are three patient family housing facilities; Ronald McDonald House, Target House and TriDelta Place.
- In 1992 the cure rate for ALL (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia) was 73%, the cure rate is now 94%.
- In the last 5 years, the Rockford area has donated, on average, $152,000 a year to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
And…my most favorite fact of all:
- SINCE 1992, Q98.5 LISTENERS HAVE RAISED 3.95 MILLION DOLLARS FOR ST. JUDE KIDS!
Y’all, I am tearing up with gratitude and joy as I type that amazing dollar amount. People always asks me, “how can you stand to listen to all those stories about kids dying for 2 days straight?” My simple answer is this; I will continue to listen to them, until no child ever dies from cancer again. Better yet, I will sing St. Jude’s praises until the day I die, or a cure for cancer is found. Mark my words, the cure for cancer will come from St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, but it can’t without our $20 a month Partner In Hope donations. We are the life blood of this amazing hospital, and we cannot let these amazing kids down.
Thank you, Stateline, for 25 years of love, hope and generosity. Thank you, for always making us here at Q98.5 so very proud. Now please, click the link below, or call 1-800-372-4999 to make your donation now so we can add 6 more amazing digits (at least) to the 2017 tote board.
Thank you, and God Bless.